This is my old blog. You can find the updated version of the Facebook-like chat HERE
Big thanks to this post also. It saved me time on creating a bottom menu ala-Facebook.
Here's the demo:
http://shutterbox.rockerprog.com/. Thanks to Jonee of PHPUGPH for hosting the demo.
login using different usernames on different browsers or different PCs
Download it here:
You may also checkout(SVN) the files here:
1. extract to your http folder
2. edit system/application/config/database.php
3. change database parameters as pecified in these config variables:
$db['default']['hostname'] = "";
$db['default']['username'] = "";
$db['default']['password'] = "";
$db['default']['database'] = "";
4. edit system/application/config/config.php
5. change values in the following variables/constants:
$config['base_url'] = "http://yourwebsite/";
//you may use .htaccess to remove index.php
6. create the database by uploading the sql dump file under the sql folder
7. to create a new user, run the following query
//password is password with username as its salt, encryption uses Secure Hash Algorithm
INSERT INTO `facebookchat`.`users` (`username`, `password`, `session_id`, `created_date`, `modified_date`) VALUES ('test', SHA1('testtest'), '', CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, '0000-00-00 00:00:00');
8. have fun !
Feel free to suggest any improvements on this application guys!